Create a blog with hugo
I have been checking out various self hosted blogging platforms that use markdown for content with a view to starting a blog. Hugo is my choice, here is a short write up about my experiences. I have settled on hugo, a static website generator written in the go programming language.
- Wordpress seemed nice but too complicated for my needs.
- Phile is nice and simple maybe a little too simple and it seems has not been updated for a while.
- Hugo is easy to install, easy to use and so far seems very comprehensive for my needs.
The advantages for me are:
- Portability, moving the blog should be a simple matter of moving the content markdown files.
- No server side code or database needed.
- Written in go, a language I have been using a little recently. Mostly to process text/csv files ready for importing to a database.
- Simple to tweak look and functionality, starting with a new theme it is very easy to create a simple website with the desire look.
- Easy to deploy, simply copy the generated files to your web server.
- Probably more positive reasons, I may mention below.
This site is generated by hugo, I will put the code on github if anyone is interested.
That’s all for now.